Ricoh Endorses “The 2°C Challenge Communiqué” Joint Declaration on Climate Change
Tokyo, September 29, 2011—Ricoh Company, Ltd. (President & CEO: Shiro Kondo) has endorsed the "The 2°C Challenge Communiqué" joint declaration issued by the CEOs of global corporations to leaders of national governments.
The joint declaration has been proposed by the Corporate Leaders' Group on Climate Change (hereafter "CLG"), a group of companies that is proactively tackling climate change issues in the United Kingdom, and Corporate Leaders Network for Climate Action (hereafter "CLN"), a cross-sector network between CLGs in each country with a view to preventing a rise in the atmospheric temperature by 2°C, which would likely have a devastating impact.
We should rethink the paradigm of contemporary society, which is based on the massive use of energy and resources, and accelerate our efforts to shift to a sustainable society.
This calls on corporations to develop and establish new, innovative business models which can lead such transformational efforts in society.
Summary of Declaration
The declaration calls for the following key areas of action:
- 1.The 17th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP17) should not only aim to eliminate deadlocks in international negotiations, but also to adopt a number of key international frameworks.
- 2.It is vital to have frameworks that adequately reflect the costs needed to reduce greenhouse gases, and within which markets that have established a stable carbon price over the long term can function.
- 3.COP17 needs to debate the management, funding, and so forth of the Green Climate Fund (GCF).
- 4.National governments need to create appropriate government frameworks to stimulate innovation.
- 5.The effective and efficient use of energy and resources that can reduce greenhouse gases rapidly without significant expense should be tackled as a matter of the highest priority.
- 6.Climate change initiatives will be undermined unless carbon sinks typified by forests are preserved, efforts made to increase their size, and measures taken to curb the greenhouse gases emitted from fossil fuels.
- 7.National governments are called on to devise comprehensive adaptation policies that anticipate the risks produced by climate change.
Reasons for Ricoh's Endorsement
Ricoh believes it must achieve a sustainable society where our environmental impact is limited to what the Earth can deal with, handing on our precious Earth to future generations. In order to do this, it is important that each country is proactive in implementing climate change initiatives.
We support the joint declaration because we believe that a declaration transmitted by the CEOs of global corporations to the leaders of national governments will be effective.
■Ricoh's previous key actions pertaining to climate change framework conventions
Became a signatory to "e-emission 55" calling for the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol at the 7th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP7).
Endorsed the CLG Poznan Communiqué calling for early establishment of post-Kyoto framework at the 14th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP14)
Endorsed the CLG Copenhagen Communiqué calling for early establishment of post-Kyoto framework at the 15th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP15).
Endorsed the CLG Cancun Communiqué calling for ambitious, robust, and equitable global deal on climate change at the 16th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP16).
Link to relevant information
| About Ricoh |
Ricoh is a global technology company specializing in office imaging equipment, production print solutions, document management systems and IT services. Headquartered in Tokyo, Ricoh Group operates in about 200 countries and regions. In the financial year ending March 2013, Ricoh Group had worldwide sales of 1,924 billion yen (approx. 20 billion USD).
The majority of the company's revenue comes from products, solutions and services that improve the interaction between people and information. Ricoh also produces award-winning digital cameras and specialized industrial products. It is known for the quality of its technology, the exceptional standard of its customer service and sustainability initiatives.
Under its corporate tagline, imagine. change. Ricoh helps companies transform the way they work and harness the collective imagination of their employees.
For further information, please visit www.ricoh.com/about/
Information in the news releases is true and accurate at the time of publication.
Manufacture, sales, price and specifications of products may be subject to change.