GXR FAQs - By Product
[Question] About the M mode (M: Manual Exposure mode) (A12 28mm).
Turning the mode dial to [M] (Manual Exposure mode) allows you to adjust the aperture and shutter speed manually.
* Some shutter speeds may not be available manually. The shutter speeds can be set depend on the camera unit and on the aperture value.
With the GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5 camera unit, available shutter speeds are between 1/3200 ~ 180 seconds.
- Select a low f-number (open aperture) to emphasize the main subject by blurring background. Selecting a high f-number (close aperture) brings both the background and main subject into focus.
- Making the shutter speed faster will capture a moment like having the fast-moving subject stop. Or making the shutter speed slower will capture a trail of of the moving subject, which will be able to create the scene in fluid motion.
The procedures for shooting in Manual Exposure mode are shown below.
- 1. While pressing the mode dial lock release button, turn the mode dial to [M].
The mode symbol, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure indicator are displayed on the picture display.
- 2. Adjust the aperture with the Up-down dial and select a shutter speed by pressing the ADJ. lever left or right, while keeping an eye on the exposure indicator.
The exposure indicator
- • You can change the function assignment between the Up-down dial and the ADJ. lever using [M Mode Dial Options] in the Key Custom Options. If the assignments are changed, the Up-down dial controls the shutter speed and the ADJ. lever works to adjust the aperture.
The Key Custom Options are available in the Setup menu.
- • Optimal exposure is obtained when the indicator is in the middle.
- • Overexposure is indicated by the indicator being in the [+] range. Underexposure is indicated by the indicator being in the [-] range.
- • If exposure value is between -2EV and +2EV, the picture display changes in accordance with the exposure.
- • If exposure value is outside the -2EV ~ +2EV range, the indicator turns orange and the picture display will not change.
- 3. Press the shutter release button halfway, and gently press the rest of the way.
- • Choose a slower shutter speed for longer exposure times. But this may cause camera shake. Hold the camera steadily in both hands or use a tripod in order to reduce blur.
- • If you shoot with a slow shutter speed, the picture display may turn off during shooting.
- • If [Auto] or [Auto-HI] is selected for [ISO Setting] in the M mode, ISO sensitivity value will be fixed. The fixed ISO value varies depending on the camera unit. With the GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5, the ISO will be fixed at 200.
- • The [One Press M Mode] in the Key Custom Options automatically sets the aperture and/or shutter speed close to an optimal exposure.
- • If [+/- Button] in the Key Custom Options is set to [Exposure Comp.], pressing [+] or [-] button in the M mode will not display the exposure compensation setting screen, but will instead automatically sets the shutter speed and/or aperture close to an optimal exposure (close to the center of the exposure indicator). This is useful when you want to use optimal exposure as a starting point for modifying exposure.
- • If [AE Lock] is assigned to the [Fn1] or [Fn2] buttons in [Set Fn1 Button] or [Set Fn2 Button] in the Key Custom Options, auto exposure (AE) lock is not available in Manual Exposure mode. Pressing the [Fn1] or [Fn2] button will automatically sets shutter speed or aperture close to an optimal exposure (close to the center of the exposure indicator). This is useful when you want to use optimal exposure as a starting point for modifying exposure.
- • If the shutter speed is set slower, the camera automatically processes photographs to remove noise. It may increase the time needed to record images to about twice the shutter speed.
Date created: December 17, 2010
Date modified: June 21, 2011
Product: GXR (GR LENS A12 28mm F2.5)
Category: Hardware operations
Do you need other information? Please click any link you want from the following.