Accessibility of products
So that the display is easy to see for older people and people with weak eyesight or color weakness, we are taking measures such as enabling use of 5 mm character height for important options on the operation panel and reversing the color tones of operation panel buttons.
We are also providing a simplified display option that reduces the number of functions shown and simplifies the operations.
Light weight sliding drawers
Normal/Reverse grip and light weight sliding drawers
Paper sliding drawers are easy to grasp and can be operated with either a normal or reverse grip. Paper can be easily loaded as sliding drawers can be pulled out with only a small amount of force so there is less need to bend over.
- *The lightness of the force required to open sliding drawers varies between models.
Easy-reach document placement
Easy operation sitting down
We are making copier operation and document placement easier for persons in wheelchairs by lowering the height of multifunction copiers. In addition, using the document feeder handle, it is possible to easily lower the ARDF (automatic reversing document feeder).
Tiltable operation panel
Tiltable operation panel and operation keys
By making it possible to change the angle of the operation panel, we have made it easier for persons in wheelchairs to see and operate the panel. In addition, the non-slip concave keys can be pushed with a light touch, and a simplified original universal font is used for the characters.
Visually accessible LED placement
LED status is vidually accessible to anyone
By separating the display positions of the green LED showing that the start button and function buttons can be used and the red LED standby indicator, we have made these LEDs visually accessible even to people with color weakness. In addition, we have also adopted LED color tones that are visually accessible to people with color weakness.
Barrier-free color management mode
The printer drivers include a Barrier-free color management mode.
Selecting "Barrier-free Color Management" converts color tones to those easy to see for persons with color weakness.
- *Since colors difficult for people with color weakness to perceive are converted, depending on the colors used, changes may not be made. There are cases where the colors output differ greatly from the colors of the original data.
- *There is no guarantee that the resulting output will be effective for all people with color weakness.
- *Use of Microsoft® Office 2007 is recommended.
- *Subject drivers: RPCS driver, PCL6 driver, and PS3 driver
Easy toner change (by single hand)
Toner bottle can be changed by single hand
With the easy-to-remove toner bottle shape featuring a place for gripping, it is simple to change the toner even by single hand.
In addition, since the bottle shape is different for each color, there is no worry of a bottle being put in the wrong place at change time.
Auditory outputs (easy to hear)
Auditory signals and sound pressure accommodate changes resulting from aging
We have adopted auditory signal patterns and sound pressure that make it easier for older persons to hear the signals.
- Note: Auditory signals are the sounds that a product emits to aid proper usage.
Manual screen reader
Screen reader for operation manuals and printer drivers
For PC printing that is not dependent on vision, there is support for PC screen reader reading software* for HTML manuals and printer drivers.
- *Commercially available software such as JAWS (There may be cases where content is not read correctly due to characteristics of the software.)
- Note: Web Image Monitor and some utility software are not yet supported.
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of the United States
This U.S. law covers federal government procurement standards; an amended version went into effect on June 21, 2001. This rule specifies that IT equipment and software purchased by the federal government must be usable by persons with disabilities.
As a result of this law, it is no longer possible for the U.S. government to purchase IT equipment that is not accessible or create webpages that are not accessible.
- Accessibility of products